Monday, March 10, 2008

Book Review: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly


My friend Diana and I decided to start a book club to force ourselves to read more often. The Diving Bell and Butterfly was the first book and I was a big fan of it.

The book is about a famous French Elle magazine editor that had a sudden stroke and became a quadriplegic that was only able to blink one eye and turn his head from side to side. The entire book was signaled to various interpreters letter by letter; hence why the book is very short.

I enjoyed the read. I mean, it was a depressing account of a wonderful life cut short, so it wasn't pleasant, but I think the author was thorough and elegant with his account of the hardships he has to face compared to the glamorous life he used to live. Ironically, the second to last chapter (the chapter describing the day of the stoke) was titled "A Day in the Life", the same title as my blog. He filled the chapters with verses from that Beatles song claiming it was the first song he heard that day and how appropriate it was to the events following. I would highly recommend this book.

No comments: